Jupyterhub and server/terminal interaction

Good afternoon,

I am relatively new in iPOP-up (and in python in general) and I have some basic questions concerning jupyterhub in relation to the server.

I have noticed that sometimes I (pip) install some python libraries in jupyterhub and set up a script that works fine within the jupyter notebook. Then, when I run the same commands in a script on the terminal I need to install these libraries again on the server (using conda and pip) for the script to run, because otherwise it errors because it can not find the libraries.

The same is true when I do it the other way around (I install the libraries on the server and then move to jupyterhub and they have to be installed again).

I would like to know the relationship between the terminal and the jupyterhub.

Is there a way to avoid installing the same libraries twice? can I just install everything via conda and then “let jupyterhub know” where everything is so that I don’t have to install everything again? or do I have to do it twice every time?

Thank you in advance.

Myrto Mitletton

Hello @MyrMit

Yes, you can create a conda environment in the terminal:

conda create -c conda-forge -n my_env -p /shared/projects/compdevneuro/envs/my_env ipykernel some_other_packages ... # ipykernel must be installed

And make it available in your jupyterlab instance as a new kernel with:

conda activate /shared/projects/compdevneuro/envs/my_env
python -m ipykernel install --user --name 'my_env' --display-name "My environment"

Then, in jupyterlab, select the “My environment” kernel when opening a notebook.

Thank you very much for your answer.
Have a nice day.

Good afternoon @rey,

I have a followup question.
One of the tools I am using requires a gpu.
I have chosen 1 gpu when logging in jupyterhub, but when I run the command in the new kernel (the one that is connected with the new conda env) it does not “see” the gpu.
However, it does “see” the gpu when I am on the default kernel (Python3 ipykernel).
What should I do?

Thank you very much.
Myrto

What exactly do you mean by “seeing” the gpu ?

What library are you importing ?

I am using scvi-tools.
When I try to run the command in the Python3 ipykernel it says that the gpu is available and is being used:

When I try to run the command in my new Conda_jupyter kernel it says that the gpu is not available and it is not being used:

I think you are missing some cuda packages but I’m not sure.

@murail @nicolasC @Gabriel une idée ?

I guess that the conda environment should be build on a node with gpu …

Hi,

It seems in those examples that your are trying to use pytorch.
Pythorch libraries exist in gpu enable or cpu enable versions. They are called CPU or CUDA version.
You will need to select the right conda package or pip repos when installing (The release that you need and the GPU enabled one).
Depending on the torch release the installation could differ.
Usually you will also need to install (In the conda env) a gxx and gcc compatible version with the cuda version use by your software in order to build it.

If you can give us more information on what software, you are trying to use; we could probably help you find a recipe for youre jupyter kernel.

G.

Good afternoon,
Thank you for your answer.

I am trying to use scvi-tools.
Concerning the gpu I installed in my conda environment the packages that were indicated in the scvi-tools website:

Before installing scvi-tools, you can install GPU versions of PyTorch and jax using conda as follows:

conda install pytorch torchvision torchaudio pytorch-cuda=11.7 -c pytorch -c nvidia
conda install jax jaxlib -c conda-forge

I hope that helps.

Thank you.
Myrto

Try installing jaxlib this way:

conda install jaxlib==*=cuda* -c conda-forge

Or, more specifically:

conda install jax[cuda11_pip]==0.4.23 -c conda-forge

I used conda install jax[cuda11_pip]==0.4.23 -c conda-forge but now the scvi library can not be imported (see the error bellow). From what I understand that is because of the mismatch between the version of jax and the version of jaxlib

THE ERROR:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
AttributeError                            Traceback (most recent call last)
Cell In[4], line 1
----> 1 import scvi

File /shared/projects/compdevneuro/envs/conda_jupyter/lib/python3.12/site-packages/scvi/__init__.py:11
      8 from ._settings import settings
     10 # this import needs to come after prior imports to prevent circular import
---> 11 from . import data, model, external, utils
     13 from importlib.metadata import version
     15 package_name = "scvi-tools"

File /shared/projects/compdevneuro/envs/conda_jupyter/lib/python3.12/site-packages/scvi/data/__init__.py:3
      1 from anndata import read_csv, read_h5ad, read_loom, read_text
----> 3 from ._anntorchdataset import AnnTorchDataset
      4 from ._datasets import (
      5     annotation_simulation,
      6     brainlarge_dataset,
   (...)
     22     synthetic_iid,
     23 )
     24 from ._manager import AnnDataManager, AnnDataManagerValidationCheck

File /shared/projects/compdevneuro/envs/conda_jupyter/lib/python3.12/site-packages/scvi/data/_anntorchdataset.py:27
     25 if TYPE_CHECKING:
     26     from ._manager import AnnDataManager
---> 27 from ._utils import registry_key_to_default_dtype, scipy_to_torch_sparse
     29 logger = logging.getLogger(__name__)
     32 class AnnTorchDataset(Dataset):

File /shared/projects/compdevneuro/envs/conda_jupyter/lib/python3.12/site-packages/scvi/data/_utils.py:7
      4 from uuid import uuid4
      6 import h5py
----> 7 import jax
      8 import jax.numpy as jnp
      9 import numpy as np

File /shared/projects/compdevneuro/envs/conda_jupyter/lib/python3.12/site-packages/jax/__init__.py:39
     34 del _cloud_tpu_init
     36 # Confusingly there are two things named "config": the module and the class.
     37 # We want the exported object to be the class, so we first import the module
     38 # to make sure a later import doesn't overwrite the class.
---> 39 from jax import config as _config_module
     40 del _config_module
     42 # Force early import, allowing use of `jax.core` after importing `jax`.

File /shared/projects/compdevneuro/envs/conda_jupyter/lib/python3.12/site-packages/jax/config.py:15
      1 # Copyright 2018 The JAX Authors.
      2 #
      3 # Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License");
   (...)
     12 # See the License for the specific language governing permissions and
     13 # limitations under the License.
---> 15 from jax._src.config import config as _deprecated_config  # noqa: F401
     17 # Deprecations
     19 _deprecations = {
     20     # Added October 27, 2023
     21     "config": (
     22         "Accessing jax.config via the jax.config submodule is deprecated.",
     23         _deprecated_config),
     24 }

File /shared/projects/compdevneuro/envs/conda_jupyter/lib/python3.12/site-packages/jax/_src/config.py:28
     25 from typing import Any, Callable, Generic, NamedTuple, NoReturn, TypeVar
     26 import warnings
---> 28 from jax._src import lib
     29 from jax._src.lib import jax_jit
     30 from jax._src.lib import transfer_guard_lib

File /shared/projects/compdevneuro/envs/conda_jupyter/lib/python3.12/site-packages/jax/_src/lib/__init__.py:75
     70   return _jaxlib_version
     73 version_str = jaxlib.version.__version__
     74 version = check_jaxlib_version(
---> 75   jax_version=jax.version.__version__,
     76   jaxlib_version=jaxlib.version.__version__,
     77   minimum_jaxlib_version=jax.version._minimum_jaxlib_version)
     79 # Before importing any C compiled modules from jaxlib, first import the CPU
     80 # feature guard module to verify that jaxlib was compiled in a way that only
     81 # uses instructions that are present on this machine.
     82 import jaxlib.cpu_feature_guard as cpu_feature_guard

AttributeError: partially initialized module 'jax' has no attribute 'version' (most likely due to a circular import)

Sorry, the command line I suggested was just an example. You have to adapt it with the correct version, try this:

conda install jax[cuda12_pip]==0.4.28 -c conda-forge

I am afraid that it does not work conda install jax[cuda12_pip]==0.4.28 -c conda-forge.
conda install jaxlib==*cuda* -c conda-forge does not work either

Here is the error:

Collecting package metadata (current_repodata.json): \ WARNING conda.models.version:get_matcher(546): Using .* with relational operator is superfluous and deprecated and will be removed in a future version of conda. Your spec was 1.7.1.*, but conda is ignoring the .* and treating it as 1.7.1
done
Solving environment: failed with initial frozen solve. Retrying with flexible solve.
Collecting package metadata (repodata.json): | WARNING conda.models.version:get_matcher(546): Using .* with relational operator is superfluous and deprecated and will be removed in a future version of conda. Your spec was 1.8.0.*, but conda is ignoring the .* and treating it as 1.8.0
WARNING conda.models.version:get_matcher(546): Using .* with relational operator is superfluous and deprecated and will be removed in a future version of conda. Your spec was 1.9.0.*, but conda is ignoring the .* and treating it as 1.9.0
WARNING conda.models.version:get_matcher(546): Using .* with relational operator is superfluous and deprecated and will be removed in a future version of conda. Your spec was 1.6.0.*, but conda is ignoring the .* and treating it as 1.6.0
done
Solving environment: failed with initial frozen solve. Retrying with flexible solve.

PackagesNotFoundError: The following packages are not available from current channels:

- jax==0.4.28

Current channels:

- https://conda.anaconda.org/conda-forge/linux-64
  - https://conda.anaconda.org/conda-forge/noarch
  - https://repo.anaconda.com/pkgs/main/linux-64
  - https://repo.anaconda.com/pkgs/main/noarch
  - https://repo.anaconda.com/pkgs/r/linux-64
  - https://repo.anaconda.com/pkgs/r/noarch

To search for alternate channels that may provide the conda package you're
looking for, navigate to

https://anaconda.org

and use the search bar at the top of the page.

Thank you for the response.

It looks like the problem was indeed something with Cuda and Cudnn. I didn’t get any issues with jaxlib (yet).

You should try the following recipe that install a jupyter kernel with scvi-tools with cuda compatible torch :

conda create -n scvi-env python=3.9
conda activate scvi-env
conda install nvidia/label/cuda-11.7.1::cuda-toolkit conda-forge::cudnn
conda install pytorch==2.0.1 torchvision==0.15.2 torchaudio==2.0.2 pytorch-cuda=11.7 -c pytorch -c nvidia
conda install jax jaxlib -c conda-forge
pip install scvi-tools
conda install ipykernel
python -m ipykernel install --user --name ‘my_env’ --display-name “My environment”

With this I was able to import torch and scvi from the custom kernel my_env in jupyter and detect my GPU with the python command " torch.cuda.get_device_name(0)".

I think you should try this out and see if you get any bugs. (it’s a bit long to install)

G.

Thank you very much for your answer.
That solved my issue.

conda install pytorch==2.0.1 torchvision==0.15.2 torchaudio==2.0.2 pytorch-cuda=11.7 -c pytorch -c nvidia did not work, so I just installed those packages one package at a time.

The model is now running with a gpu in the new kernel.

Thank you again.
Myrto

Out of curiosity, could you give us the result of:

pip list | grep jax
conda list | grep jax

Thanks !

Good morning,

Here you go.

Thank you again.
Myrto